Sharing BLOCKS Research
What we learned about what four year olds know and can do in science
July 13-16, 2014
Begins at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 13, 2014
Ends at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 16, 2014
- Flat Creek Ranch
- 159 Ulrich Road
- Johnson City, TX
- Get Directions
Project Directors, ITMs and others associated with Texas Regional Collaborative projects, particularly those interested in sharing information from this workshop with teachers of young children. Spaces for this PDA are limited to 35 participants. If possible bring a team of two—a science or mathematics person and an early childhood person.
PDA participants will hear the history and outcomes of our research and experience activities including assessments developed and implemented during the NSF funded Building Baseline Objectives for Children’s Knowledge and Skills in Science (BLOCKS) project. (James Barufaldi, PI and Mary Hobbs, Co-PI). The focus of BLOCKS research was to collect data on what four year olds know and can do in science. Prekindergarten teachers worked as teacher researchers along side university researchers throughout the project.
Mary Hobbs, Bob Williams, Brian Anderson, and selected BLOCKS teachers will lead PDA participants through all aspects of the research project. Participants will leave with equipment and materials to replicate most activities with teachers in their local communities.
Certificates of Participation
This PDA is worth 26 hours of professional development credit. Certificates with Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Mary Hobbs, Ph.D.
- Coordinator for Science Initiatives
Participants will stay at Flat Creek Ranch in double occupancy rooms in Cypress Lodge. Each room has two double beds and a private bath with shower. Bed linens and towels are provided. Bring personal toiletries.
$200.00 per participant with lodging included
- Included Meals
- Sunday: Dinner
- Monday: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Tuesday: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Wednesday: Breakfast and Lunch
- Participants will receive equipment and materials valued over the cost of registration
- Payments are due before this event
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance
- Please register as soon as possible and no later than July 3, 2014
- Registration is limited to 35 participants, so registration may close before July 3, 2014
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all necessary information to provide to business offices for credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.
Click to Register