March 14-15, 2016
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- UT Austin Main Campus
- George I Sanchez Building
- Room 411
- 1912 Speedway
- Austin, TX 78712
- Map / Directions
Texas teachers interested in becoming certified to teach Grades 8-12 Computer Science are eligible to attend. Attendees should have at least some prior experience in coding or programming to maximize their participation in this workshop.
Teach CS will provide an overview of the educator competencies required of all teachers to become certified in Grades 8-12 Computer Science. This certification is necessary to teach courses such as Computer Science I, II or III, Fundamentals of Computer Science, or AP Computer Science A. Course instructors will address several competencies in depth and link attendees to additional resources that will help to prepare them to challenge the CS certification test. Attendees should bring their own laptop to the workshop.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 12 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Amy Werst
- Manager of Programmatic Operations
- Center for STEM Education, UT Austin
Accommodations and Transportation
All participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed to participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate only for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option.
No hotel block arrangements have been made by the TRC for this event. Make reservations at an area hotel of your choice, asking for state rate. A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is provided and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
- Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)
- Hotels near The University of Texas at Austin’s Main Campus (PDF)
A list of nearby hotels is available above but please note that this is a busy time in Austin. If you plan to get a room, BOOK YOUR HOTEL NOW. Rooms are limited. The following hotels had availability as of mid-February.
- Drury Inn – I35 at St Johns
- Extended Stay America – Austin
- Wingate by Wyndham – Round Rock
- Days Inn Austin- Crossroads
Validated parking is available in the Brazos Garage at the corner of Martin Luther King Blvd. and Brazos St. Pull a paper ticket to park in the garage, and participants will receive a prepaid parking pass each day at the workshop to leave the garage.
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $120.00 total per participant for this 2-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address.
- Center for STEM Education
- 1912 Speedway, D5500
- SZB 340
- Austin, TX 78712
- Attn: Jeff Early
Please email Jeff Early (Jeff.Early@austin.utexas.edu) with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to email@example.com.