Online Java Fundamentals – Fall 2014
- This 8-week synchronous online course in Java Fundamentals will consist of twice weekly sessions from 4:30 – 6:30 pm either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday. The course will begin the week of October 6, 2014. Educators will indicate their preference in their application for participation.
- Prior experience in programming is not required.
Austin Training – Winter 2015
- Teachers, who complete the online Java Fundamentals course, will be eligible to attend a free face-to-face professional development in Austin on January 15-16, 2015. (Travel and lodging will be reimbursed by the TRC.)
Online Java Programming – Spring 2015
- This 8-week synchronous online course in Java Programming will be an extension of the Java Fundamentals Intro course from the fall. Same twice-weekly session format will be followed. The course will begin in February 2015.
The application deadline is Tuesday, September 30, 2014. Applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis so please don’t delay in applying for one of these limited spots. See flyer and agenda (when available) for details on activities included in each session.
Texas Computer Science teachers
The Texas Regional Collaboratives (TRC) at UT Austin, in partnership with Oracle Academy, and TCEA, is offering a free series of courses for Texas teachers interested in teaching computer science. This series of professional development experiences will prepare participants to teach courses such as Computer Science I, Computer Science II, or AP Computer Science. Since the AP Computer Science course is based on the Java programming language, this will be the focus of the technical training component.
The TRC CS Network will consist of both online coursework and face-to-face training held in Austin.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 40 Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the event. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Dr. Carol Fletcher
- TRC Associate Director
Sessions One and Three are online only and will not require travel to Austin in order to participate. Session Two attendees will receive accommodation information in time to make arrangements for travel to Austin for the January 15-16, 2015 training session.
- Registration Fee: Free
- Event limited to 40 participants
- Application deadline: Tuesday, September 30, 2014
- To apply, complete the online application form: Keep Calm and Java On: TRC Computer Science Network Application