April 25-28, 2016
April 25, 2016 11:30 AM – 4:30 PM (lunch from 11:30-12:30)
April 26, 2016 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM (breakfast 8:00-8:30)
April 27, 2016 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM (breakfast 8:00-8:30)
April 28, 2016 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM (lunch from 11:30-12:30)
- Holiday Inn-Lady Bird Lake (aka Town Lake)
- 20 North IH-35
- Austin, TX 78701
- View Map / Get Directions
Initial registration is limited to one participant from each TRC Science Collaborative. The individual attending the PDA should plan to be the primary presenter for a three-day turnaround training that is both pedagogy and content intense. If your attendee is not qualified in both roles, please consider recruiting an additional individual after the PDA to meet the content expertise requirements for the turnaround training. Total number of participants is limited to 40. Please email Mary Hobbs at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waiting list before registering more than one individual.
This session provides the latest science behind earthquakes, Earth structure and plate tectonics. Through pedagogical approaches such as argumentation and modeling and the use of hands-on activities which can be used in the classroom participants will experience and learn about causes of earthquakes, earthquakes and plate tectonics, propagation of seismic waves, seismographs, earthquake locations, statistics and seismology data, Earth’s interior structure, earthquake hazards and local seismicity. Curricular materials, access to data and additional resources will be provided.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 18 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Mary Hobbs, Ph.D.
- Coordinator for Science Initiatives
Sleeping rooms are available at the Holiday Inn-Lady Bird Lake, on a first come, first serve basis. Rooms are state rate until sold out. Below is the group web link. Guests may also call 1-888-615-0509 and refer to the group name: IRIS PDA TRC and/or group code: PTD
- Click here to book Holiday Inn-Lady Bird Lake
- Downloadable Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF)
All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
Parking is free at the Holiday Inn-Lady Bird Lake.
- Costs below for Participants Affiliated with the TRC only. All others please contact Jennifer Kaszuba at email@example.com for more information.
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $180.00 total per participant for this 3-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address.
- Center for STEM Education
- 1912 Speedway, D5500
- SZB 340
- Austin, TX 78712
- Attn: Jeff Early
Please email Jeff Early (Jeff.Early@austin.utexas.edu) with any payment questions you may have.
Transportation expenses for TRC collaborative attendees will be reimbursed.Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event.
Online Registration Instructions
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.