July 20-22, 2015
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
- UT Austin J.J. Pickle Research Center
- Texas Advanced Computing Center
- 10100 Burnet Road
- Austin, TX 78758
- Get Directions
Texas teachers of mathematics in grades 6- 8, Algebra I teachers, and both middle and high school technology applications/computer science teachers are eligible to attend.
Teach Your Students to Program, Mathematically
Bootstrap teaches students to program their own video games in an algebraic programming language, exposing them to key math concepts. Middle- and high-school teachers around the country have implemented the curriculum as a one-month module, a weekly activity or an afterschool program.
In Bootstrap, Your Students will Practice and Apply
- Solving word problems
- Coordinate planes and Graphing
- Functions and Variables
- Function Composition
- Inequalities in the Plane
- The Pythagorean Theorem
In this Workshop, You Will
- Participate in a real classroom demonstration of the curriculum
- Build your own video game, using the math you already know
- Learn how TEKS Math Standards can be met through a STEM-focused programming curriculum
- Explore cutting-edge research on algebra education
What to bring
- A laptop with internet capability
- Power cord for the laptop
- Mouse if desired
An agenda is available for download in PDF format.Download Agenda
Bootstrap is a free curriculum that reaches hundreds of students each year in states around the country, and has been supported by the National Science Foundation, Google, and Microsoft. For more information visit www.bootstrapworld.org.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 24 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Carol L. Fletcher, Ph.D.
- Associate Director, TRC
No hotel block arrangements have been made by the TRC for this event. Make reservations at an area hotel of your choice, asking for state rate. A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate is provided and should be given to the hotel staff at check in. See a list of nearby hotels linked below.
PRC is a gated facility. Upon entering the campus, please stop at the guard post to tell the guard that you are a TACC visitor. (We will provide you with a parking pass so it is not necessary to purchase one.) To get to the Research Office Complex (ROC), Building 196, go through the chain link gate to Road A and turn right. ROC is at the last building on the right. When you arrive at ROC, you may park in the covered visitor parking area or any open space in front of ROC. Go up the brick pathway to the entrance of the building. TACC is on the right as you enter the double doors. Please check in at the receptionist desk to obtain a visitor parking pass and return it to your car.
- $50.00 per day for each participant.
- $150.00 total per participant for this 3-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event. All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.Click to Register