April 14-16, 2014
April 14-15 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM / April 16 8:00 – 11:00 AM
Region 13 Education Service Center
5701 Springdale Road.
Austin, Texas 78723
Initial registration is limited to two participants from each TRC Science Collaborative. The individual(s) attending the PDA should plan to be the primary presenter(s) for a three-day turnaround training that is both pedagogy and content intense. If your attendee is not qualified in both roles, please consider recruiting an additional individual after the PDA to meet the content expertise requirements for the turnaround training.
This 2 1/2 day workshop is designed to deepen participants’ understanding of formative assessment. Participants will
- Engage in a structured process for strengthening alignment through collaborative conversations focused on the standards. Using this process, participants will explore how to use the standards to guide decisions around teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Work collaboratively to understand the structure of the standards by identifying and understanding the purpose of the four components that make a standard and exploring alignment through a grade level/course lens. This study of the standards will support effective instructional interventions and enrich and create a sense of urgency about ensuring students receive a standards-based education.
- Collaboratively study a variety of applications of formative assessment. Used by educators to assess student understanding of content and practices, formative assessment is one of the most effective strategies for advancing learning for all students.
- Explore the formative assessment process, by building learning progressions; imbedding one or more of the five applications of formative assessment; and analyzing student work to make appropriate instructional adjustments based on evidence from the analysis of student work samples.
Each participant in this session will receive a copy of the STAAR Biology: Assessment Activities for the Texas Readiness Standards resource from the Dana Center. This session will be replicable.
AgendaClick to Download Agenda
Certificates of Participation
Certificates of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Mary Hobbs, Ph.D.
Coordinator for Science Initiatives
Sleeping rooms are available at the Hilton Austin Airport on a first come, first serve basis. Click the link below to register online. For other hotel options, please see theRegion 13 Hotel guide.
Hilton Austin Airport
9515 Hotel Drive
Austin, Texas 78717
Note: The Project Directors Meeting on April 16-17 will be held at the Airport Hilton.
Parking is free and abundant at Region 13 ESC and the Airport Hilton.
$45.00 per day for each participant.
$90.00 total per participant for this 2.5-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all necessary information to provide to business offices for credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event. All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.
Click to Register