January 9-11, 2014
Begins 5:00 pm on 1/9
Ends at 1:00pm on 1/11
McKinney Roughs LCRA Park
1884 Hwy 71 West
Cedar Creek, TX 78612
Project Directors and Instructional Team Members for the Texas Regional Mathematics Collaboratives. Two persons from each Collaborative may attend. This PDA is limited to 50 participants.
The Math Out of the Classroom PDA will be held in an informal site setting (McKinney Roughs). This LCRA Park is well equipped to serve our needs with 3 classrooms, one great room, a small museum and lots of outdoors to explore. Included in the three days will be instruction from the McKinney Roughs staff on math and science, opportunities to use the outdoor setting to integrate math with science, geography and history. The overall goals of the PDA are:
- To build understanding of the three commonly used terms, Project Based Learning, Problem Based Instruction and Place Based Learning. All of these approaches share the goal of providing hands-on minds on instruction with a heavy pedagogical emphasis on integration of the content, and are student centered.
- To model the use of local resources to support this kind of learning, and provide a template for replicating the experience at local sites.
- To learn the best practices to implement authentic, integration of other subjects with mathematics content.
- 5:00 p.m. — Check in and lodging assignments 6pm: Dinner
- 7:00 p.m. — Mixer and opening talks by invited guests
- 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. — Whole Group Activities
- 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. — Meet with Team
- 5:30-8:30 p.m.– Dinner and evening PD events
- 8:00 a.m.– Check out of rooms
- 8:30 to 12:00 p.m. — Group Presentations
- 12:00 p.m. — Box lunch and closing
Certificates of Participation
Certificates with Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
Debra Junk, Ph.D.
Coordinator for Mathematics Initiatives
Lodging is included in the registraton fee. All registrants need to bring a sleeping bag or appropriate bedding. The group cabins are fully heated/air conditioned with bathroom and shower facilities. There will be wifi on site. Cabins will be assigned onsite. All beds will be bottom bunks. The group cabins are fairly cozy, very nice and new.
$45.00 per day for each participant.
$135.00 total per participant for this 3-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover all meals, lodging at McKinney Roughs, and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Registration closes on December 18, 2013 or when the workshop is full.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all necessary information to provide to business offices for credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event. All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
- Proceeds may be used in general support of the College of Education.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.Click to Register