June 27, 2017
9:00 AM – 9:00 PM
Renaissance Austin Hotel
Glass Oaks Ballroom
9721 Arboretum Blvd, Austin, TX 78759 (Map / Directions)
There are unique challenges to leading and supporting the work of K-12 STEM. The STEM Leadership Summit will immerse attendees in collaborative experiences focused on the unique needs of STEM teachers and learners. Topics will include:
- T-TESS in the STEM Classroom
- Building an Inclusive K-12 Computer Science Pipeline
- Leadership in STEM schools: Principal Panel
- Math Pathways: Practical Strategies for Preparing ALL Students for Post-Secondary Success
The STEM Leadership Summit will be co-located with the 2017 TRC Annual Meeting. All Leadership attendees will also participate in the following events with Annual Meeting attendees
- Luncheon featuring Dr. Penny Schwinn, Deputy Commissioner of Academics, TEA – Texas STEM priorities in the era of ESSA
- Showcase and Reception celebrating Texas STEM Superheroes – teachers and TRC projects
- Dinner featuring inspirational Keynote Speaker Liz Murray, author of Breaking Night, her memoir of going from homeless to Harvard. Click for a bio of Liz Murray (PDF)\
- 8:30 – 9:00 Registration/Coffee
- 9:00 – 11:45 Sessions
- 12:00 – 1:45 Luncheon Keynoted by Dr. Penny Schwinn, TEA Deputy Commissioner
- 2:00 – 4:30 Sessions
- 5:00 – 7:00 Celebrating STEM Superheroes Showcase and Reception
- 7:00 – 9:00 Dinner Keynoted by Liz Murray
Participants will include superintendents, principals, curriculum specialists, teachers, professors and professional development providers who are interested in leadership in STEM. Attendees do not have to be TRC or WeTeach_CS participants.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 12 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the event. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Carolina Cardenas
A block of sleeping rooms is available to book for our event at the Renaissance Austin Hotel at the Austin state rate. Rooms must be booked and confirmed by June 12, 2017 or until sold out—whichever happens first.
Reservations should be made and managed by going here.
- In the drop down menu, select “attendee” when creating a new reservation, and you can also change or cancel an existing reservation by selecting “manage existing reservation.”
- If you opt to contact the hotel directly, reference the “TRC Annual Meeting 2017” to ensure the proper occupancy charges (contracted at Austin state rate of $141/single, $215/double, $235/triple, and $255/quad).
Free and valet parking is available at the Renaissance Hotel.
- $200/person ( includes all meals)
- TRC members who are also registered for the TRC Annual Meeting may attend at a discounted rate of $100/person. Please contact Carolina Cardenas for details regarding discounted registration.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address.
- Center for STEM Education
- 1912 Speedway, D5500
- SZB 340
- Austin, TX 78712
- Attn: Jeff Early
Please email Jeff Early (Jeff.Early@austin.utexas.edu) with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email address as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to email@example.com.Click to Register