September 23-24, 2015
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Holiday Inn- Town Lake
- 20 North IH-35
- Austin, TX 78701
- View Map / Get Directions
Initial registration is limited to two participants from each TRC Math Collaborative. The individual attending the PDA should plan to be the primary presenter for a minimum of two-day turnaround training that is both pedagogy and content intensive. If your attendee is not qualified in both roles, please consider recruiting an additional individual after the PDA to meet the content expertise requirements for the turnaround training. Total number of participants is limited to 50. Please email Debbie Plowman Junk at firstname.lastname@example.org to be placed on the waiting list before registering more than two individuals.
Dr. Olof Steinthorsdottir, from the University of Northern Iowa will be leading this PDA. Olly has two interrelated research emphases, gender equity in mathematics education and teaching and learning for understanding within the domain of whole numbers and rational numbers in Preschool through Middle School. Olly has also been a Cognitively Guided Instruction teacher leader for a number of years and understands the important role that good instructional tasks and knowledge of strategies children use as they solve these tasks play in good instruction.
The Proportional Reasoning in the Middle Grades PDA is 2-day course in which proportional reasoning is addressed through missing value problems. This PDA will feature possible learning trajectories which help teachers recognize, develop and present good tasks and task sequences involving proportions during instruction. Participants will also learn about the strategies students use when they are solving these missing value problems.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 12 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Debra Junk, Ph.D.
Coordinator for Mathematics Initiatives
Sleeping rooms are available at the Holiday Inn-Town Lake, on a first come, first serve basis. Rooms are state rate until sold out. Below is the group web link. Guests may also call 1-888-615-0509 and refer to the group name: TRC Fall Project Directors Meeting and/or group code: TRC
Parking is free at the Holiday Inn- Town Lake.
- $60.00 per day for each participant
- $120.00 total per participant for this 2-day workshop
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials
- Payments are due before this event
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance
- Event limited to 50 participants
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all necessary information to provide to business offices for credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Payment Mailing Address
- TRC, ATTN: Jeff Early
The University of Texas at Austin
George I. Sánchez Building, Room 356
1912 Speedway STOP D5500
Austin, TX 78712-1608
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event. All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
Please email Jeff Early with any payment questions you may have.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.Click to Register