May 20 – 22, 2013
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- Hotel Allandale
- Live Oak Conference Room
- 7685 Northcross Drive
- Austin, TX 78757
- 512.452.9391 / 800.851.9111 (Reservation Line)
- Get Directions
Project Directors and Instructional Team Members of the Texas Regional Science Collaboratives. Limit two participants per collaborative. Projects are strongly encouraged to utilize their higher ed partners and also to recruit an experienced high school math teacher to partner with them for this PDA. Extra attendees may be allowed if there is space available.
Focus on Algebra: Linear Functions is three full days of professional development designed for teachers and workshop leaders who will be providing professional development for teachers in their Regional Collaboratives. Materials provided for each participant include participant handouts, slide presentations for presenting the PD, and a presenter guide. Presenters of this material should plan on at least 3 days of professional development when turning around this training.
The PD is a function-based approach to teaching algebra, with particular focus on linear functions using the Algebra I TEKS. During the PD participants will analyze lessons, tasks, and teacher moves and examine the changes to the TEKS that were adopted in the Spring of 2012. Additionally, participants will discuss teaching English Language Learners and how to support students who may struggle in learning algebra.
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 18 Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the PDA. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Debra Junk, Ph.D.
- Coordinator for Mathematics Initiatives
All hotel accommodations are paid for by each participating Collaborative. Each participant is responsible for making their own reservations for overnight accommodations. To receive the block rate of $99.00 per night, reservations must be made with the Hotel Allandale using the reference, Focus on Algebra: Linear Functions PDA., before April 20th, 2013. Check in is at 4 pm and check out is 12 pm. (See Location section at top of page for hotel contact information.)
Parking is free and abundant at the Hotel Allandale.
$45.00 per day for each participant.
$135.00 total per participant for this 3-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants
- Registration closes on April 20, 2013
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all necessary information to provide to business offices for credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to “The University of Texas at Austin.” Please send to the attention of Jeff Early along with the printed registration confirmation email.
- Transportation expenses will be reimbursed. Reimbursement forms will be provided electronically after the event. All participants are responsible for their own lodging reservations and payments.
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked your name, email, and collaborative. If you are not the project director, you will need to enter your project director’s email as well. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person that will be attending. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to the: TRC Web Team.