June 27-28, 2016
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Breakfast from 7:30 to 8:00 am
- Spring Branch ISD Technology Training Center
- 14330 Memorial Drive
- Houston 77079
- Map / Directions
Texas teachers of mathematics in grades 6- 8, Algebra I teachers, and both middle and high school technology applications/computer science teachers are eligible to attend.
Teach Your Students to Program, Mathematically
Bootstrap teaches students to program their own video games in an algebraic programming language, exposing them to key math concepts. Middle- and high-school teachers around the country have implemented the curriculum as a one-month module, a weekly activity or an after school program.
In Bootstrap, Your Students will Practice and Apply
- Solving word problems
- Coordinate planes and Graphing
- Functions and Variables
- Function Composition
- Inequalities in the Plane
- The Pythagorean Theorem
In this Workshop, You Will
- Participate in a real classroom demonstration of the curriculum
- Build your own video game, using the math you already know
- Learn how TEKS Math Standards can be met through a STEM-focused programming curriculum
- Explore cutting-edge research on algebra education
What to bring
- A laptop with internet capability
- Power cord for the laptop
- Mouse if desired
Certificates of Participation
Certificates stating 12 hours of Continuing Professional Education hours (CPE credits) earned will be sent electronically after the participant has completed the online course evaluation. Participants should receive the certificate two to three weeks after the event. Any questions about certificates should be directed toward the contact person listed on this page.
- Amy Werst
- Manager of Programmatic Operations
- Center for STEM Education, UT Austin
All participants are responsible for their own travel arrangements and payments. These costs will be reimbursed by the TRC – Center for STEM Education at The University of Texas at Austin to participants who attend the entire event. Lodging costs will be reimbursed at the state rate for those who live more than 60 miles from the event. Mileage will be reimbursed, also at the state rate, as calculated by MapQuest using the shortest route option.
No hotel block arrangements have been made by the TRC or UT Dallas for this event. Make reservations at an area hotel of your choice, asking for state rate. A copy of the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exempt form is linked below and should be printed and turned in to your hotel upon arrival. State hotel tax will not be reimbursed.
- $60.00 per day for each participant.
- $120.00 total per participant for this 2-day workshop.
- Registration fees cover breakfast, lunch and training materials.
- Payments are due before this event.
- Refunds will not be issued for cancellations or those not in attendance.
- Event limited to 40 participants.
- Participants can pay by credit card or check. The registration confirmation email will contain all the necessary information you need to provide to your business offices regarding credit card payment records and check processing instructions.
- Checks for registration need to be made out to The University of Texas at Austin. Please mail checks to the attention of Jeff Early, along with the printed registration confirmation email, to the following address.
- Center for STEM Education
- 1912 Speedway, D5500
- SZB 340
- Austin, TX 78712
- Attn: Jeff Early
Please email Jeff Early (Jeff.Early@austin.utexas.edu) with any payment questions you may have.
Online Registration Instructions
Click the registration button below to register your attendance. You will be asked for your contact information, what subjects you are currently teaching. If you have multiple people attending, please fill out this form for each person. You may need to quit and restart your browser to enter multiple people. If you need technical help with the registration page, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.Click to Register